Re: Mozilla packages

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:49:22 +0100
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 04:38:32PM +1000, Adam Karkowski wrote:
> > I was wondering why the mozilla testing and stable packages are the
> > same. More specifically, why testing is so old. Version 1.0.0 seems
> > a little ancient.
>
> At the moment, upgrading the version of mozilla in testing is waiting
> until the following release-critical bugs are fixed or downgraded:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/203100
>   http://bugs.debian.org/203962
>
> For more information about how packages are selected for inclusion in
> testing, see http://www.debian.org/devel/testing.
>
> > Testing used to have 1.3 floating around in it. I understand if it
> > turned out to be buggy but couldn't you have gone back to 1.2 or at
> > least 1.1?
>
> Um, I think you're mistaken here. Packages don't get downgraded in
> testing. I don't believe testing has ever had mozilla 1.3.

I think maybe this is the cause of confusion:

Debian testing is for *distribution* testing, not *package* testing.

That is, it is a staging area to test (among other things) the
relationship and dependencies between packages, not (as primary goal)
the packages themselves.

Maybe we should add that clarification somewhere at the top of
http://www.debian.org/devel/testing ?

 - Jonas