Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:21:49AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> This isn't particularly complicated to resolve; all we need to do is
> provide a DFSG-free copyright license, and to ensure that our logo is
> protected as a trademark, and enforce those rights.
>
> This doesn't conflict with the DFSG, both because it's not a copyright
> issue, and because it's simply in the same spirit as clauses like "if
> you modify this software you must change its name".

I do not see where the DFSG (or the Social Contract, for that matter)
confines itself to copyright issues.

If copyright were the only legal regime that could deprive us and our
users of Free Software, we wouldn't be worried about software patents.

Er, well, maybe *you personally* aren't worried about software patents,
but many of our developers in Europe were, and quite recently.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     No math genius, eh?  Then perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you could explain to me where you