Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:03:12PM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
> 	Let's say that I am an artist in the employ of BAD DNA Inc., an
> evil bioengineering conglomerate.  I really like the font used by the
> Debian Open Use logo, so I think I shall derive our new corporate logo
> from the font used in Debian's.  Some quick copy-pasting should do the
> trick.

You're confusing two things here (which is reasonable, because the swirl
logo license does too). One is copyright, which is what the DFSG is about,
the other is trademarks. We don't really have a copyright interest in
the logo -- it doesn't matter if people make up a new logo based on ours
and use it for their bioengineering company, or whatever. We do have
a trademark interest though: we don't want people thinking that their
bioengineering company has a relationship with Debian when it doesn't.

This isn't particularly complicated to resolve; all we need to do is
provide a DFSG-free copyright license, and to ensure that our logo is
protected as a trademark, and enforce those rights.

This doesn't conflict with the DFSG, both because it's not a copyright
issue, and because it's simply in the same spirit as clauses like "if
you modify this software you must change its name".

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda