Re: Is work on Debian community service?

also sprach Duncan Findlay <duncf@debian.org> [2002.09.12.0624 +0200]:
> Do you think work for the Debian project should be considered
> Community Service? How about work only indirectly for Debian (i.e.
> work on upstream projects)? How about work on other free software
> projects?

I think that high schools generally define community service to be
something you don't like to do. Anyway, I stand behind you, would be
happy to call it community service, and I can also vouch for hours you
put in if you show me what you have done and tell me, honestly, how
long it took.

It would be real community service if you:

  - asked to 'rent' your school's computer lab for a saturday
  - run a linux workshop where people can come, install, play around,
    and ask general questions.

I've done that a couple of times and it was very successful.

"never speak disrespectfully of society.
 only people who can't get into it do that."
                                                        -- oscar wilde