Re: irc.debian.org

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 07:50:43 +0100
Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hubs are much less bandwidth-intensive than leaf nodes, because they
> > don't have to repeat a message once for each user that receives the
> > message (think channels). Leaf nodes will end up replicating a lot
> > of messages and sending them out, but it's pretty unavoidable at the
> > moment.
>
> It's unavoidable, period. Those clients need to receive the data.

I get surprised every day :) I'll not rule something out. IP
multicasting may take off.

> > Anyhoo, a T1 could typically handle that many users without breaking
> > a sweat. Hardware-wise, something very modest (think P233 or so)
> > could handle it.
>
> That's bottom-end hardware for a server on that scale, even with a
> highly efficient daemon.

Yeah, I redid the calculations based not on average user usage, but on
average _Debian_ user usage.

In the low-end, yeah. I figured 500kB/s to be safe, after I re-figured
how much bandwidth the average Debian user on such a node would likely
use.