Re: irc.debian.org

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:08:10AM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 07:50:43 +0100
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Hubs are much less bandwidth-intensive than leaf nodes, because they
> > > don't have to repeat a message once for each user that receives the
> > > message (think channels). Leaf nodes will end up replicating a lot
> > > of messages and sending them out, but it's pretty unavoidable at the
> > > moment.
> >
> > It's unavoidable, period. Those clients need to receive the data.
>
> I get surprised every day :) I'll not rule something out. IP
> multicasting may take off.

I think I'm going to quote Adam Heath here:

HAHAHAHAHA.  No.

_|asuffield|_ <-- ircd hat

Suffice it to say that IP multicasting is a useless pile of tripe.

[It's not necessary, either. More on that in a few months.]

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK