Re: irc.debian.org

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 11:29:17PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > The significant advantage is that we stop endorsing a network that collects
> > > spurious donations from our users, the people who we are supposed to help,
> > > not help waste their money.
> > >
> > > I think the risk to our reputation with our users over financing policies
> > > outweighs the risk of moving them to another network.
> >
> > I don't agree; it is quite clear that the Freenode advertisements are
> > not Debian-related.
>
> How does that matter? We still encourage Debian users to go there.

I don't see how clearly unrelated advertisements constitute "A risk to
our reputation with our users over financing policies".  We don't
approve of them, of course.

> > > A wild card, as opposed to OPN, which has started an annoying and wrong
> > > fundraising campaign, is trying to found a new charity despite the fact
> > > lilo is an SPI advisor, and, of course, has just changed its name? :)
> >
> > A wild _technical_ card.  I refuse to support a move that we don't have
> > technical confidence in; despite the splits, OpenProjects has not been
> > a disappointment on that side.
>
> That doesn't make sense -- OFTC seems to be led by people who were staff on
> OPN. We haven't tested their technical expertise by seeing a 500-user
> #debian run on their new network, but other than asuffield's opinion that
> they are all worthless, I see no reason to believe they couldn't do what
> they used to do on OPN, on OFTC.

The problem of IRC network administration is always of scale - scale of
users, scale of servers, scale of problems, scale of politics.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz