Re: irc.debian.org

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 10:55:47PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 03:12:52PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >   - Switching networks without some significant advantage stinks of
> >     politics too much for me.
> >   - It increases the chances we'll have to do it again, and we lose the
> >     stability that has made the network useful.
>
> The significant advantage is that we stop endorsing a network that collects
> spurious donations from our users, the people who we are supposed to help,
> not help waste their money.
>
> I think the risk to our reputation with our users over financing policies
> outweighs the risk of moving them to another network.

I don't agree; it is quite clear that the Freenode advertisements are
not Debian-related.

> > OFTC is too much of a wild card, which I think is clear to any detached
> > observer from reading the traffic in this thread.
>
> A wild card, as opposed to OPN, which has started an annoying and wrong
> fundraising campaign, is trying to found a new charity despite the fact
> lilo is an SPI advisor, and, of course, has just changed its name? :)

A wild _technical_ card.  I refuse to support a move that we don't have
technical confidence in; despite the splits, OpenProjects has not been
a disappointment on that side.  It also is even less likely to vanish.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz