Re: irc.debian.org

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 07:53:07PM -0500, Rob Levin wrote:
> But, really, the question really comes down to whether you think freenode is
> doing a good job.  If you do, presumably you'll accept our judgement on
> whether we need modest paid coordination.

That doesn't seem very logical to me.

> If you don't, then perhaps you should advocate moving Debian to a network
> you think better meets its needs.

Well, OPN has been just fine. The channels are kept in order, there's no
constant kicking, banning etc, the servers aren't splitting as often as
before. But then you started asking for money, and obviously some of us are
not at all convinced that the requests are warranted.

The infighting and forking of staff, often server splits, we've sat through
all that quietly, supporting you and hoping everything would get resolved
nicely. And it mostly did. But this is much more of an ethical issue, and
despite our usually pragmatic attitude towards matters, I don't think we
should settle with something like this.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.