Re: irc.debian.org

> > I will point out that we were linpeople.org when the Debian project joined
> > us, and linpeople.org began in 1995, well before the boom picked up speed.
> > And we're still here, after the dotcoms have pretty much folded.
>
> Which still makes it a pretty recent network :)

True enough.  We're not as young as OFTC, but we're only about 7 years old.

> > If you'll look at the notes on http://freenode.info/contrib.shtml it may be
> > helpful.  Our initial operating budget consists of two half-time slots, one
> > to work on coordinating the network, one to work on researching grants and
> > starting other projects.  The pay scale will be low sysadmin.  In addition,
> > we'll have a small hardware and office budget.
>
> No, it doesn't. I am still missing the answer to a simple question:
> the largest irc networks out there, which are a LOT larger then
> freenode, manage to run their network without any donations at all. So
> what makes freenode so special that it needs to hire volunteers?

General-purpose IRC networks are a different beast from freenode.  We're
providing a considerably higher level of service than they routinely
provide, and it's tailored to a specific set of communities.

But, really, the question really comes down to whether you think freenode is
doing a good job.  If you do, presumably you'll accept our judgement on
whether we need modest paid coordination.  If you don't, then perhaps you
should advocate moving Debian to a network you think better meets its needs.

> > The initial projects PDPC intends to work on are described on that page as
> > well. In addition to freenode (OPN), we'll be working on vocational,
> > educational and advocacy programs.
>
> How will it be different from FSF, EFF, SPI, LI, OSI and others? They
> already have people, funds, etc. Why create yet another non-profit?

No existing organization is working on the vocational or educational
programs we're planning.  Most advocacy programs center on high-tech
business, rather than on industries which can support stable employment.

But we're wandering afield, and I believe I've made all the comments I can
usefully make.  It's not my place to tell the Debian project that it should
remain on freenode; all I can say is that we would be happy to continue to
host you.  But if the membership believes that freenode is not a useful
place to be, or that two global notices a day in support of a fundraising
campaign is unreasonable, we'll certainly understand.  If you decide to
stay, we'll be happy to accomodate you.  If you decide to leave, we'll
understand and just express our appreciation that you've been with us during
very interesting times.

Sincerely,

Robert Levin
Executive Director, PDPC