Re: irc.debian.org

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:53:33 +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 07:53:07PM -0500, Rob Levin wrote:
> > But, really, the question really comes down to whether you think freenode is
> > doing a good job.  If you do, presumably you'll accept our judgement on
> > whether we need modest paid coordination.
>
> That doesn't seem very logical to me.
>
> > If you don't, then perhaps you should advocate moving Debian to a network
> > you think better meets its needs.
>
> Well, OPN has been just fine. The channels are kept in order, there's no
> constant kicking, banning etc, the servers aren't splitting as often as
> before. But then you started asking for money, and obviously some of us are
> not at all convinced that the requests are warranted.

There are two issues.  The first issue whether it's appropriate for a
non-profit to ask for modest funds to run its projects.  We've worked to
ensure that our fundraising has minimum impact on the network, and we've
provided our users, including you, the means to ignore the fundraising
messages should they so desire.  But, if we don't ask for operating funds in
a way that is visible to our users, we simply won't raise them.

The other issue is whether our approach and needs are reasonable.  Our
requests for donations are based on a tentative operating budget which is
extremely modest.  It's our best judgement that part-time paid coordination
for the network, and part-time paid coordination for the nonprofit
corporation, are important to the stability and long-term viability of the
network.

No one is requiring you to use the service.  But in order to run it, we have
to exercise some judgement on how to provide that service.  If you think our
judgement is flawed, there are certainly other IRC networks out there you
can use.  We'd hate to lose the Debian project.  But that's the decision of
the Debian project, not our decision, to make.

Thanks,

Rob Levin