Re: Questions regarding Debians future

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 13:31:20 -0500, David J. Heinrich wrote:
> Now that OpenOffice has been released, do you plan to include OpenOffice
> as part of your Debian package?

Unofficial packages are already available
(http://www.linux-debian.de/openoffice/).

Currently, OpenOffice has build dependencies on non-free packages, which
prevent it from qualifying for main (Debian proper). Judging by
http://cvs.debian.org/oo-deb/debian/TODO?rev=1.13&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN&cvsroot=debian-openoffice
there are people working on doing away with these dependencies.

> Also, I've recently taken an interest in the NSA's "SE Linux" and in
> RTLinux.  Do the Debian developers plan to include any features --
> particularly those from SE Linux -- in Debian?

There are several SE Linux-related packages available, at least in
"unstable":
libselinux-dev - Development files for NSA SE-Linux
selinux - Management utilities for NSA Security Enhanced Linux
selinux-policy-default - Policy config files and management for NSA Security Enhanced Linux
libselinux-dev - Development files for NSA SE-Linux

> I'm also curious about other security features that may be implemented and
> the possibility of doing so.  Could Debian integrate some of the security
> features that are available by default in OpenBSD?

There are a lot of security and encryption options already available in
Debian; if there is something specific missing compared to OpenBSD, you
might have found your itch to scratch; see http://www.debian.org/devel/join/ .

> What I'm wondering about basically is how Debian is affected by the US'
> idiotic laws against encryption export, security, etc.

Encryption export regulations have been relaxed quite a lot which is why
woody is now the first Debian release to have reasonably integrated
cryptography.

There are other legal and law-enforcement developments that are much more
threatening to free software than the crypto export regulations were. In
particular, the patent bureau's rubber-stamping of the most absurdly broadly
interpretable patent claims without proper investigation of prior art (see
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/), and Hollywood's control of the US legislature
pushing through more and more far-reaching "intellectual property protection
/ digital rights 'management'" (see http://www.eff.org/news/).

> As a side-note, does Debian come with WindowMaker?

Yes. http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/wmaker.html

HTH,
Ray
--
"People should never have been given free will."  Lots of languages.
	Larry Wall on common fallacies of language design