Connecting to Internet problems

Hello,

I am having trouble connecting to the Internet. I have tried using WvDial, but that won't detect my modem. The pppconfig script went well, apart from the fact that it didn't detect my modem (so i entered it manually). The pon [provider] script didn't do anything, and also didn't give me any error messages. I know my modem isn't a winmodem because it works under Mandrake linux. Also, WvDial detected my modem in Mandrake linux. My modem is on /dev/ttyS0 (COM1). Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ceri.