Re: Mirror update lock

I see, perhaps if there were some event handling system in place
(xmlrpc? etc..), or if 1 server knew about all mirror updates in
progress, but then, it's not a requirement to sync from the main debian
servers is it... we pull from progeny and kernel.org...

Hrmm, I see that it's not as simple as policy and a few changes to
apt-get.  *sigh*  I'll continue to wish.... :)

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 13:38, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 01:33:38PM -0700, Blake Barnett wrote:
> > I have been having a few reports of problems due to a mirror updating
> > and packages being unavailable.  Users believe it is some sort of error
> > or the packages are missing, the world is ending, this whole linux thing
> > is just a pile of crap... etc, every report is laced with a bit of
> > insanity.
> >
> > Anyway, I've been wondering if it could be avoided by having apt-get
> > check for a 'lockfile' of some sort on the mirror, if the file exists,
> > then it displays a message like "This mirror is currently being updated,
> > please try one of the mirrors listed <url>here</url>.  It will be
> > completed in approxmately: <time>".  When the update is complete, the
> > file is removed.
> >
> > Has this been done?  Or is there some reason why it would not work well?
>
> A large amount of mirrors have the lockfile in
> <debianroot>/Archive_Maintenance_In_Progress_`hostname -f` but you can't
> depend on it. Sometimes people leave those files behind and switch to
> another mirroring method that ignores them. In addition, when you use HTTP,
> you have to get the directory listing and analyze it first.
>
> So I guess nobody ever bothered implementing it since it was so error-prone.
>
> --
>      2. That which causes joy or happiness.
>

> --
Blake Barnett (bdb)  <blake.barnett@developonline.com>
Sr. Unix Administrator
DevelopOnline.com                 office: 480-377-6816

Learning is a skill, you get better at it with practice.