Re: Spam

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:27:07AM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > How do we solve the problem then? I think the answer is easy, just
> > make some good law against spam. Punish the people who send spam. That
> > would *solve* the problem, not work around it. So instead of just the
> > your country.
>
>   I think that our lawmakers are too busy protecting corporate interests
> to take care of a minor problem like spam.  (maybe if it could be
> demonstrated that it causes tangible harm to a major campaign
> contributor, but I'm not holding my breath)  And I don't know what the
> proportion is, but a fair bit of spam seems to be generated in foreign
> countries anyway..

That's all true, but not unsolvable. I don't know if you mean with
"our lawmakers" the US lawmakers, but the situation is a bit better
in Europe regarding the bribery (but also getting worse, especially on
EU-level). But spam doesn't only harm us as specific OS/FS group, it
harms everybody. I think that makes it easier to explain why spam
sender should be punished and that opt-in must be the only legal way
for advertising.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org