Re: Spam

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 01:23:12AM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:
> Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> writes:
>
> > No.  I _hate_ it when somebody cross-posts to a moderated list I'm
> > not a member of.  I have flamed everybody involved in the past for
> > doing this stupid shit.  If debian moderates its lists, I _will_
> > leave the project.
>
> Why?  The first time you send an email, it gets delayed a bit while
> waiting for a moderator to approve your address.  It's just not really
> that inconvenient.  I could see it being annoying if you got automated
> messages, your mail didn't get through, and so forth, but that doesn't
> happen.

Delaying a message unnecessary is invoncenient IMHO. But the most
inconvenient thing is that a moderator should approve the mail. That
costs time people could spend hacking or doing other nice things and
it doesn't solve a problem at all. Just wait until spammers get
smarter and start faking From: addresses.

How do we solve the problem then? I think the answer is easy, just
make some good law against spam. Punish the people who send spam. That
would *solve* the problem, not work around it. So instead of just the
your country.

And although the answer is easy, I'm aware that getting such a law
isn't that easy. But that doesn't make impossible.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org