Re: Random BTS musings

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 01:49:44PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Maybe encouraging people who can only provide (5)-(8) to discuss it on a
> mailing list (or with members of their local LUG?) first is the way to go?

Yeah. In fact, a few days ago I changed http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
to tell people to mail debian-user@l.d.o when in doubt about which package
is at fault.

(I also made the page a bit less obfuscated so hopefully those who bother to
even check the documentation will no longer be repelled before reading
through it. ;( )

> Is this worth thinking about or trying to ameliorate?

IMHO yes, it is :)

On related note, I think bug(1) and reportbug(1) should emphasize _less_ on
the severity value of the bugs. It's clearly something that the average user
shouldn't even know about, and something that the developer needs to address.
So, basically, the question they ask about the severity should not be "What
severity do you want to set?" (followed by a full screen of blather), it
should be "Do you want to set a severity? (default is fine usually)". Or
even something more hidden.