Re: Stop Debian/FreeBSD

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 01:55:10PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:06:18PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > Please, people, if you have not thought through the ramifications of
> > > what you are trying to do, take a step back and look at the big
> > > picture first.  Why not try to help the free software community
> > > instead of hurt it?
> > So the BSD folks aren't part of the free software community?
> They are but what they are doing is essentially providing 'aid and
> comfort to the enemy' (proprietary software).

We distribute non-free software, so that makes us the enemey, right?

Hell, some of us write non-free software, so we must be a bunch of sickos,
right?

And in any case, you've just admitted that Debian FreeBSD would be
assisting a portion of the free software community. At worst, it might
help a bunch of other people too.

At the very worst, it can't hinder us.

> > You're insane.
> I guess this is welcome, as when one's opponent resorts to ad hominem
> attacks, it usually means that one is on the right side of the issue
> :-)

Your arguments make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Your base assumptions
are blatantly false, and unsupported by either any argument you've made,
or commonly accepted opionion.

Like I said, you're insane.

The BSD license is not evil. Proprietry software authors might be deluded,
but they certainly aren't `the enemy'. Making a distribution derived
from Debian, whether it be proprietry, or free, or popular, or ignored
by everyone, doesn't matter.

Those are my underlying opinions. I get the impression that there are
a number of people out there that agree with them. Quite frankly, I
don't care if you agree with them or not, but claiming that Debian is
fundamentally against all of them strikes me as both wrong and obnoxious.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds