Re: Stop Debian/FreeBSD

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:06:18PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Please, people, if you have not thought through the ramifications of
> what you are trying to do, take a step back and look at the big
> picture first.  Why not try to help the free software community
> instead of hurt it?

Argh.

IMHO, vanilla GPL is more damaging in the short term to the opensource
movement than BSD ever was, although the long term (and quite blatant)
oversights BSD makes are unfortunate.

Why can't we end this holy war, and encourage a move to some middle ground,
like LGPL? This license preserves each camp's ... 'holy grail,' you could say.
LGPL is copyleft, but it's still open enough to be integrated into projects
governed by licenses outside the tiny GNU universe.

The GPL camp's willful ignorance of the commercial software sector (and also
the other free software camps) is quite a hindrance to our goals. Ensure
security and integrity of free software projects, while at the same time
encouraging participation of other parties.

But please, don't take this as fuel for yet another flame fest, I *know* many
of you don't agree.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..avancouw@calpoly.edu.. ..aaronv@debian.org..
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org