Re: cups-filters 1.7.0 released!

Le mercredi, 20 janvier 2016, 13.42:22 Till Kamppeter a écrit :
> I need a solution for Ubuntu. Ubuntu has the splitting of Main and
> Universe with the stuff in Main requiring a "good" security history.
> So it is always difficult to add new dependencies to Main. Therefore
> I introduced the splitting.

I see this need for Ubuntu, don't mistake me.

> It seems that you for Debian are fully against the splitting and
> prefer hard-depend on the Braille support and its chain of
> dependencies.

That's a wrong appreciation of the situation: I, as Debian maintainer,
need time to digest the pro and con arguments, as well as the
implementation. And I don't have that time currently.

> These dependencies are now blocking the further development of Ubuntu.

Sorry for that…

> What should we do here:
>
> Should we perhaps to some conditional mechanism (if possible) which
> makes the package building with split under Ubuntu and without on
> Debian? So Ubuntu does not get the extra dependencies and Debian
> supports Braille printers out-of-the-box in its standard desktop or
> server installation?
>
> Or should we simply lift the dependencies and give hints in README
> files that for Braille support packages X, Y, Z are needed? In
> addition taking into account Samuel's latest patch which gives clear
> error messages in error_log.
>
> What do you think should we do?

Wait until I (or anyone from the Debian Printing Team, really) come back
from vacation in three weeks, and discuss that change calmly :-). I'm
not trying to excert stop-energy, I'm just trying being a responsible
Debian maintainer.

--
Cheers,
    OdyX