Re: cups-filters 1.7.0 released!

On 01/20/2016 06:02 AM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

You had pushed it on debian/master, but I wanted to have a more
extensive discussion about the split. I therefore resetted the
debian/master branch and pushed your changes to the `split-braille`
branch.

I have now resetted it again, as I will not have time to hold this
discussion before my VAC (I'll be afk until Feb 12), but don't want to
hold the 1.7.0 version from upload.

I need a solution for Ubuntu. Ubuntu has the splitting of Main and Universe with the stuff in Main requiring a "good" security history. So it is always difficult to add new dependencies to Main. Therefore I introduced the splitting.

It seems that you for Debian are fully against the splitting and prefer hard-depend on the Braille support and its chain of dependencies.

These dependencies are now blocking the further development of Ubuntu.

What should we do here:

Should we perhaps to some conditional mechanism (if possible) which makes the package building with split under Ubuntu and without on Debian? So Ubuntu does not get the extra dependencies and Debian supports Braille printers out-of-the-box in its standard desktop or server installation?

Or should we simply lift the dependencies and give hints in README files that for Braille support packages X, Y, Z are needed? In addition taking into account Samuel's latest patch which gives clear error messages in error_log.

What do you think should we do?