Re: Ghostscript CMap files

Hi Hideki,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:25:20AM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:49:47 +0100
Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
Cc'ing package maintainer of poppler-data...!

Hi, Jonas. Long time no see from NYC :)

Duplicated code in Debian is a problem.

Yes, yes. I know poppler-data and cmap-adobe* has duplicated mapping data.
- cmap-adobe comes from the highest upstream (Adobe), but no versioning scheme
  for release.
- poppler-data bundles some cmap-adobe code to make it easier to use.
  And other distros (like Fedora or so) also use poppler-data.

Since I'm poppler-data package maintainer, I want to continue to keep it.
poppler-data - It's simple, package name compatibility with other Distro.

Ok, so poppler-data includes additional stuff than just CMap files.

Would you mind having poppler-data depend cmap-adobe-* and/or gs-cjk-resource, instead of shipping duplicates?

If you are concerned if perhaps upstreal libpoppler project might derive from Adobe released data, poppler-data could build-depend on cmap-adobe-* and verify at build time that each file really is identical before replacing with a symlink, and have the build fail (to force manual investigation) if not.

Would you perhaps be interested in joining the Debian Printing Team to ease coordinating cross-package issues like this one? And perhaps also to join forces on other packaging tasks[1].

 - Jonas

[1] Debian Printing Team is open to different packaging styles. Personally I use CDBS and git-buildpackage, while you use sort-form dh and no VCS for poppler-data. If you, like me, are devoted to your current choice of packaging style we obviously can't work directly together, but can still benefit from using a shared mailinglist :-)