Re: Ghostscript CMap files

Hi Kenshi,

(or is Muto more appropriate? - sorry, I am never really sure)

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 08:14:26PM +0900, Kenshi Muto wrote:
(I'm so sorry about I've been inactive nowadays)

No problem.

Better, though, would be if you agree to move packages under the Printing Team umbrella. You need only reply to this email with a list of packages you are ok with group-maintaining, then I volunteer to do the actual move. You are of course more than welcome to keep contributing in your own pace :-)

At Tue, 25 Jan 2011 01:38:03 +0100,
Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:30:31PM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>On 01/24/2011 09:04 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>I noticed that recent Ghostscript packaging for [Ubuntu] dropped >>the indirection of CMap files.
>>
>>I am not knowledgeable in DeFoMa, but recent changelog entry of >>gs-cjk-resource seems to indicate that even dropping DeFoMa it >>still makes sense to preserve the indirection.
>>
>>Ghostscript 9 made progress in releasing CMap files under a >>DFSG-free license, but still some of them need to be stripped, so I >>suspect some users still rely on gs-cjk-resource for their needs >>with Ghostscript.

Making /var/lib/ghostscript/CMap from gs-cjk-resource is just aimed
for old DFSG-free Ghostscript style.
It's better that ghostscript package itself provides CMap files.

...if Ghostscript was the only possible user, I would agree...

>My suggestion is symlinking the CMap files of gs-cjk-resource into >the CMap directory of Ghostscript or by simply letting them get >installed into Ghostscript's CMap directory. If the files are >already shipped by Ghostscript, the gs-cjk-resource and/or >cmap-adobe-japan1 packages will get superfluous and should get >removed from Debian.

The origin of those CMap files is Adobe, not Ghostscript, and they are usable for other purposes that with Ghostscript.

Any packages without gs-cjk-resource doesn't use CMap files of cmap-adobe-* package. Poppler uses their CMap, poppler-data package.

...but looking at poppler-data it contains same CMap files!

Reason, I believe, this has not been cleaned up in the past is that those packages was in contrib or non-free where fewer people investigate.

Cc'ing package maintainer of poppler-data...!

So basically removing gs-cjk-resource and cmap-adobe-* from Debian after ghostscript has them is no problem.

Duplicated code in Debian is a problem.

The remained issue is 'how to make cidfmap'. cidfmap is the map
definition between TrueType font name and CID font name.
Currently it is handled by gs-cjk-resource and can be moved to
ghostscript.

Seems to me that cidfmap handling is independent from Ghostscript.

Seems better IMO to keep gs-cjk-resource as the independent package for CMap files, and a) adapt it to serve the needs of poppler and b) have ghostscript and poppler symlink into the static gs-cjk-resource dir instead of the current convoluted symlinks apparently needed only for DeFoMa which is being dropped.

- Jonas