Re: Installer doesn't find the mirrors

Hi Stan!

Apologies for the late reply!

On Tue, 2023-05-02 at 12:35 -0600, Stan Johnson wrote:
> On 5/2/23 7:24 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> >
> > The former issue could be resolved if someone could find out how to boot
> > a PowerPC Mac from a FAT32 boot partition. It's supposed to work but I never
> > verified that.
> >
> > If someone could test that, I can implement that and we won't have to resort
> > to HFS which causes some headache since the APSL license of hfsprogs is
> > considered non-free by Debian.
>
> On a PowerMac G5, I tested vfat, fat, and ext2 for the Apple_Bootstrap
> partition, but none of those worked (the system would just boot from the
> first Apple_HFS partition and ignore Apple_Bootstrap altogether). I
> thought I read once that Apple's Open Firmware understood ext2 volumes,
> but maybe it was Apple's UFS that it could read, not ext2 (and I didn't
> test Apple UFS, since I didn't see a "mkfs.ufs" in Debian and it would
> likely have the same issues as HFS, anyway).

Looking at the official documentation [1], it should work:

> New World machines (with OF 3.0+) support HFS+, ISO9660, and FAT. When
> Mac OS X is installed on an HFS+ volume, BootX is typically placed
> in the /System/Library/CoreServices directory, and given the HFS+
> type attribute of 'tbxi'. Furthermore, the CoreServices folder is
> "blessed", which means that it's directory ID (analogous to an inum
> in FFS terminology) is recorded, in the HFS+ volume header.

I just don't know how to bless a bootloader located on a FAT partition.

I know that xorriso does it and it works on ISO9660 filesystems, but I
don't understand how.

Again, if someone could figure out how it's done, it would make the bootloader
situation on Apple PowerMac much better. Or someone points me to a version of
hfsprogs which is covered by the GPL.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz