Re: libre firmware and Raptor Computing devices?

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 12:10 PM Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> > Project Ortega is the libre firmware for the BCM5719. Update through fwupd
>
> Personally I very much dislike fwupd/LVFS as a place to distribute
> firmware from, since it is designed for proprietary vendor firmware.

and critically relies on an internet connection.

> I think libre firmware should be in Debian just like libre software.

the whole purpose of debian is that files are GPG-signed with a trusted
chain.  once a debian distro is downloaded and verified you even
*no longer require internet*.

some random s*** off the internet (npm, cargo, fwupd, pip3) is
dangerous, non-reproduceable and fragile.

l.