Re: Seeking for help with Debian 11 (2022-03-28 image) - can't install GRUB

Hi!

On 10/14/22 00:12, vavagoga wrote:
Well, sorry for being ignorant, I am quite new to Linux...

No worries.

Could you direct me to some tutorial or something which would help me
to understand how to "switch to another virtual console" to access syslog?

When the installer is running, you can press <Alt> and <Arrow Left> or <Arrow Right>
to switch between what is called "virtual terminals".

When you get a to a console prompt, you can copy the "syslog" file with:

# scp /var/log/syslog joe@foo:

which copies the file "syslog" to the computer "foo" into the home directory of the
user "joe".

I have tried following: I disconnected my SSD off my G5 and then connected it to a
Linux laptop as USB drive, but /var/log folder doesn't contain syslog file.. it says
it is in journal dir, but I don't see it there either.. So honestly I don't know how
to access that syslog file..

The installer log is found in "/var/log/syslog" during installation. However, when the
installation has finished, the log files can be found in the directory "/var/log/installer".

If you have access to this directory, just compress the directory and sent it to the list.

# tar czf install-log.tar.gz /var/log/installer

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer