Re: Poll: Is anyone using nouveau driver on ppc64 system?

On 10/8/21 17:55, Alex Perez wrote:
>> That's unfortunately not possible at the moment as Debian Ports is a pure
>> unstable distribution which means we're rolling release.
>
> Can't you still be rolling-release, but with an LTS kernel?

I think there is a misunderstanding how Debian Ports works. Debian Ports normally
not supposed to host any source packages itself. Instead, the buildds just build
all the packages that are uploaded to unstable and experimental.

We can upload custom packages to the "unreleased" suite and even a renamed kernel
packages called "linux-lts", but someone would have to maintain that and that's
a lot of work.

>> There are plans to add releases to Debian Ports but that would require
>> setting up an instance of Debian's release management software called
>> Britney [1] which is something someone from the release team needs
>> to do.
>
> Perhaps there would be fewer barriers if someone were to prepare a "spin" of
> BE-ppc/ppc64 that is outside of the official Debian Ports. It seems like it
> would be possible to run our own instance of Britney2:
>
> https://release.debian.org/doc/britney/setting-up-britney.html

I'd prefer Britney for Debian Ports to be maintained by the same people who
already maintain the Britney instance for the Debian release architectures.

But before we can have our own instance of Britney, we need a proper instance
of DAK - the Debian Archive Kit. We are currently using Mini-DAK for Debian
Ports which has lots of limitations which cause issues like this one [1].

However, we cannot use DAK for Debian Ports at the moment, because DAK doesn't
support the "unreleased" suite at the moment. So, someone would have to add
support for "unreleased" to DAK first. Once that has happened, we can switch
from DAK to Mini-DAK, then get Britney running for Debian Ports.

Once these two things have happened, we can have testing and stable releases
in Debian Ports.

I assume the above task for adding support for "unreleased" to DAK could be
something for Google Summer of Code.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz