Re: Poll: Is anyone using nouveau driver on ppc64 system?

Mathieu Malaterre wrote on 07th of October 2021, 11:05 CEST:
Hi all,

One of the kernel maintainers is wondering if the nouveau driver is
completely broken with 64K pages ?

So my question is simply: is anyone out there using a ppc64 system
with nouveau on a default linux-image-powerpc64 debian system (64K
page). I am only interested in ppc64be system only.

Thanks for your time,

Last I tried to setup my Power Mac G5 (PowerMac11,2) I was using
nouveau. The driver worked, but that was 1+ year ago. I hit a massive
problem and, at the time, stopped due to lack of time. I was going to
revive the Power Mac this summer, but again couldn't find the time. I
will however try again next year.

I didn't run Debian on it, but Gentoo. I noticed a problem with newer
kernel versions (was it >5.4?), but couldn't investigate any further. Sorry.

One problem I had was that switching to/from 64k pages is impossible
when one uses btrfs (which I want to use), because the page size
determines the data structures, making it impossible to access the
filesystem when changing it later-on.

If I remember correctly, nouveau always had issues with 64k pages...
(And I couldn't try it with 4k pages due to the btrfs issue...)

Linux User #330250