Re: Updated installer images 2021-04-16

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021, at 11:33 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 4/20/21 3:42 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > (1) Can we get rid of the seemingly unnecessary error message about not having a /boot partition?
>
> As I said, it's a known issue and I'm going to fix it at some point. But
> since I am doing this in my freetime and I'm not getting paid for that,
> I'm not working on it every day.
>
> Fixing installer issues is not trivial and requires lots of testing, getting
> it working last week took me four days and 10-15 installation runs, so I
> cannot work on it every day.

Understood.  I'm grateful for the work you can afford to do, and I don't intend to pressure you.  I'm just trying to do my part --  sorry, I'm not a developer, so I can't help with the code -- but I will do what I can, which is to provide my observations as I test your code.  In particular, the error message mentioned above comes from the partitioner section of the installer.  Presumably, this message, and the check that issues it, are relics of the past when grub was not able to dig into LVM partitions to find the kernel and initrd. Now that grub understands LVM, the check and associated message are no longer necessary.

> > (2) Are the messages necessary that complain about "can't open device" and
> > "press any key to continue"?
>
> I don't know the context of these. You need to provide more context, use a
> net console if you cannot access the logs otherwise.

The context of these messages is immediately after the "bong" when the machine reboots itself -- after grub has loaded and displayed its menu but before the kernel and initrd are loaded.  I'm guessing that they come from grub and are byproducts of the process of grub digging around in the LVM looking for the /boot directory.  If that explanation doesn't clear up the ambiguity, I'll get out my camera and take some pictures of the screen for you.

Is there some way to tell grub to log its progress to some durable media like a USB stick?

> Adrian

Rick