Re: Tool for blessing HFS+ filesystems required

On 2/3/21 4:06 PM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
> Wouldn't it be easier to use an earlier version of diskdev_cmds, patch
> it to default to hfs instead of hfs+, compile it, and then rename it to
> mkfs.hfs as a separate package?
>
> https://opensource.apple.com/tarballs/diskdev_cmds/
>
> On Gentoo Linux, version 332.14 is still fully supporting HFS. (At least
> I think so... I'm currently on amd64, not powerpc or powerpc64...) But
> it's patched.
>
> Care to take a look?
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-fs/diskdev_cmds
> (Patches are in the files directory,
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-fs/diskdev_cmds/files)

The old hfsprogs has many bugs such as fsck segfaulting on 64-bit systems,
so people would most likely run into problems with it.

Also, it would potentially confuse users.

> If Debian uses a newer version of newfs_hfs, it should be easily
> possible to simply rename the old version to mkfs.hfs und thus keep
> using it exclusively for HFS (not HFS+). In order to be completely sure,
> a patch specifically for this to accomplish 1) default to HFS and 2)
> disable HFS+, for a separate mkfs.hfs, should be the least problematic
> way. The newer version would remain as newfs_hfs and mkfs.hfsplus.

It would certainly possible, but alas the old version has issues on
64-bit machines.

> BTW, I currently don't have the time to work on PowerPC. I have 2 G5s
> (one original from 2002, one Dual-Core from 2005), and I tried Debian on
> them and Gentoo as well. In their current state they are a mess, and I
> didn't have the time back then to persue this any longer, but as soon as
> I have (and I really don't know when), I plan to reactivate them with
> both Debian and Gentoo. This puts me into a special position, because
> naturally I would use a semi-manual boot configuration, not a "stock"
> solution, simply because with Gentoo I have to.
> But I am not a programmer. I can apply patches, manual configurations,
> but I cannot write code. I consider myself a "poweruser"...
>
> So, if you're annoyed by my input, just ignore me. I'm fine with it.

I don't think I have said anything like that. I'm open to discussion but
you have to accept that people have different opinions.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz