Re: Tool for blessing HFS+ filesystems required

Wouldn't it be easier to use an earlier version of diskdev_cmds, patch
it to default to hfs instead of hfs+, compile it, and then rename it to
mkfs.hfs as a separate package?

https://opensource.apple.com/tarballs/diskdev_cmds/

On Gentoo Linux, version 332.14 is still fully supporting HFS. (At least
I think so... I'm currently on amd64, not powerpc or powerpc64...) But
it's patched.

Care to take a look?
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-fs/diskdev_cmds
(Patches are in the files directory,
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-fs/diskdev_cmds/files)

If Debian uses a newer version of newfs_hfs, it should be easily
possible to simply rename the old version to mkfs.hfs und thus keep
using it exclusively for HFS (not HFS+). In order to be completely sure,
a patch specifically for this to accomplish 1) default to HFS and 2)
disable HFS+, for a separate mkfs.hfs, should be the least problematic
way. The newer version would remain as newfs_hfs and mkfs.hfsplus.

BTW, I currently don't have the time to work on PowerPC. I have 2 G5s
(one original from 2002, one Dual-Core from 2005), and I tried Debian on
them and Gentoo as well. In their current state they are a mess, and I
didn't have the time back then to persue this any longer, but as soon as
I have (and I really don't know when), I plan to reactivate them with
both Debian and Gentoo. This puts me into a special position, because
naturally I would use a semi-manual boot configuration, not a "stock"
solution, simply because with Gentoo I have to.
But I am not a programmer. I can apply patches, manual configurations,
but I cannot write code. I consider myself a "poweruser"...

So, if you're annoyed by my input, just ignore me. I'm fine with it.

As always,
just my 2¢.
Linux User #330250