Re: Failed install attempt - GRUB issue - hfsprogs missing?

On 7/2/19 4:32 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
There's no UDEB for hfsprogs which would allow handling HFS from the
installer environment so we need to resort to using the tools from the
hfsprogs DEB package from inside the target root FS during installation.

Please file a bug against hfsprogs if we need a udeb although it could be
that this bug report gets rejected because powerpc and ppc64 are not
release architectures.

I'll have a look into this, but have not much hope, as we are still
waiting for an upgraded hfsprogs package (for G5 Power Macs, as the
ppc64 version of fsck.hfs always segfaults there) from the very same
maintainer.

But during your installation the hfsprogs package couldn't be located,
making `mk-hfs-bootstrap` unable to perform its task which also makes
`d-i/grub-installer` exiting before finishing the GRUB installation.

hfsprogs should be in /target or grub-installer should install it there
if it's not in /target yet.

I was referring to [1]:

```
[...]
The CD is bootable and boots using Grub! yay! I could partition, install
up to the point where GRUB needs to be installed on the target system,
but that step fails.

In the log console I see a message that says
"Unable to locate package hfsprogs"
while grub-common is already the newest version
[...]
```

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2019/06/msg00030.html

`mk-hfs-bootstrap` installs hfsprogs inside the target FS, but for some
unknown reason that package couldn't be found during Riccardo's
installation attempt.

But again, grub-ofpathname needs to be fixed
but I don't have the time.

Sure, don't feel pressed, I just wanted to help out Riccardo, so he can
start using his PowerBook G4 for PowerPC development.

Cheers,
Frank