Re: Failed install attempt - GRUB issue - hfsprogs missing?

Hi Riccardo,

On 6/25/19 3:50 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>

> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> It can be done from any running system, it doesn't really matter whether
>> it's been booted off a CD-ROM or from any other medium.
>>
>> But I will be looking into this issue soonish. Please bear with me.
>
> in the meanwhile I did not stand still, but I tried:
>
> 1) boot with rescue CD as Frank suggested
> 2) mount root
> 3) get and install yaboot
> 3) nvsetenv boot-device "$( ofpath /dev/<HFS_BOOTSTRAP_PARTITION> ),\grub"
>
> but reboot... still shows me the blinking folder and using "option" does
> not show the hard disk.

I think I had this same problem installing Debian 9 on a G5 system.  The
workaround was to boot the rescue CD, open a shell and chroot into the
new installation, then run "ybin -v".  I think I also entered
"set-defaults" first at the firmware prompt, but that may not have been
required.

> So I wonder what could be "Missing" if only the boot loader installation
> failed during install
> perhaps grub itself.
>
> Perhaps I can in the rescue shell try to reinstall and reconfigure grub?
> how?
>
> Riccardo
>
> PS: I noticed that the CD still has the wrong mirrors source list, as a
> long time ago. What should be the correct one to use currently and can
> itbe fixed too?

-Stan