Re: Testing GRUB from other distros.

On 3/7/19 10:09, aggaz wrote:
To be clearer, Fedora's GRUB did work too. I was able to boot the
CD-image and I saw GRUB starting kernel/initrd, but this boot step failed.
So, as a matter of fact, GRUB as a loader for the kernels from the
CD-images always worked.
I can try Fedora with the CD image burned on an actual CD, but I
honestly do not expect any change.

Ok then, but if you have the extra time for it, it'd be good to know if
it would make a difference.

Because AFAIK the messages emitted by GRUB when loading kernel and
initrd are usually just done with `echo "message"` from a GRUB
configuration file (e.g. like in the "host configuration file" on [1]).
This because there seems to be no progress meter or other reporting when
GRUB loads a file. So as long as you don't see a kernel message you
can't be sure the kernel load was successful - at least that was my
impression - though I'd expect an error message from GRUB if not.

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64#Preparing_GRUB2_configuration_files

Regarding OpenSUSE, the problem is at the step regarding drivers
initialization. The boot process always hangs when trying to load the
driver "ssb", that in my understanding has something to do with the
Broadcom WiFi interface. I do not understand why the installer was able
to start this driver at first and now it does not.
I also tried to exclude this driver by appending the line
"brokenmoddules=ssb" to GRUB's kernel line as suggested by the installer
itself, without improvements.

Maybe try with `modprobe.blacklist=ssb`, assuming you didn't have the
typo - double `d` - in your actual kernel command line. [2] also
suggests that for SLES12.

[2]: https://www.suse.com/de-de/support/kb/doc/?id=7018612

Cheers,
Frank