Re: Testing GRUB from other distros.

On 3/7/19 08:56, aggaz wrote:
As previously requested [1, 2], I did some tests regarding GRUB on PPC64
as provided by other distributions.
I did my tests on a PowerMac G5 late 2005.

My attempts failed miserably.

Sad to hear that, but now we at least know the status.

Fedora:
I was unable to boot Fedora 27. The image was dd'ed in a usb stick and
booted by openfirmware (boot hd:,\\:tbxi).
The installer never started and I ended up in a recovery shell.
I noticed that they used GRUB to boot the CD.

For this case it could be interesting to check if results will differ
when using a disc instead of a USB stick.

OpenSUSE:
I was able to install OpenSUSE tumbleweed. I used dd and usb boot as in
Fedora. I was not very comfortable with the installation procedure and I
just followed the default choices.
[...]
I noticed that they used GRUB to boot the CD too.

Gentoo:
Some time ago I tried gentoo on this same machine, and noticed that they
use GRUB to boot their live-cd, but the installation to HD needs yaboot.

I am not sure how useful this report might be... anyway I did what I could.
I am still available for other tests if needed.

Thanks for testing these other distributions. Even if it didn't work out
as expected it's still valuable information. I think especially the fact
that the other distributions all use GRUB to boot from an ISO for ppc64
and that it worked for at least two of three is interesting. The same
configuration could then be used for Debian ISOs in the future.

Cheers,
Frank