Re: Testing GRUB from other distros.

On 3/7/19 11:41 PM, aggaz wrote:
Given that the first (unsuccessful) install was done by GPT, this time I
used MS-DOS.

I'm not sure but I don't think OpenFirmware will accept an MS-DOS partition
table, so it's most likely pointless to continue without being able to
set the partition table type to "Mac".

OpenFirmware - at least on NewWorld Power Macs and also on POWER
machines (see e.g. "chrep", "chrp_rs6k", "chrp_ibm" and "prep" cases
following [1]) - supports msdos/MBR partitioning.

This is also what I used for my patches that would change the bootstrap
method for NewWorld Power Macs. Part of these patches was a change to
d-i/partman-partitioning that switches from mac to msdos partitioning
([2]). Tested to work on Mac mini G4 and 11,2 type Power Mac G5.

[1]:
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/partman-partitioning/blob/master/lib/disk-label.sh#L53

[2]:
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/partman-partitioning/merge_requests/1/diffs#4024213af38e279cc49152a1df786d0c5c259409_71_70