Re: Installation of Debian on an iMac PowerPC

Adrian,

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 10:53 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 2/17/19 10:45 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> > However having said that I have had great results from installing Debian
> > testing/buster into a PowerMac G5 with no major issues.  Sure the boot
> > loader is a tad crusty but the machine works well enough.
>
> Frank Scheiner has already written patches to add GRUB support for Macs,
> those just need to be cleaned up, tested and merged.
>
> First, the issue with ofpath inside powerpc-utils needs to be fixed [1]
> which might just be a matter of updating the powerpc-utils package
> in Debian. The version currently in Debian is a tad old.
>
> Adrian
>
> > [1] https://github.com/ibm-power-utilities/powerpc-utils/issues/30

IMHO a much simpler solution is at:

* https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=916864

The attached patch wont change a bit on sparc* system.

Fixing the shell script in powerpc-utils wont happen in the near
future (again IMHO). I was hoping even to get my patch upstream in
GRUB. Technically I still fail to understand why the implementation on
Mac does not cope with both syntax, or else the bug has been present
in GRUB upstream since day one.

Comments ?