Re: Enable GRUB installation for powerpc/ppc64 Macs

Hi Mathieu,

On 12/22/18 08:41, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 10:38 PM Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de> wrote:
Just for reference, please consider using patches from:

and

Sure, I'll take these into account. Thanks for fixing that tool. Looking forward to use this one instead.

That way we'll replace yaboot/ofpath with grub-ofpathname.

Thanks much for your work !

You're welcome.

And btw the work already grew, as I recognized that we also need an `hfsprogs` udeb to support a `partman-hfs`. Fortunately the needed dependencies are already available as udebs ([1], [2]). I'll see what I can do with [3] which wasn't yet available on salsa.d.o.

[1]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/libbsd0-udeb

[2]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/libssl1.1-udeb

[3]: https://salsa.debian.org/frank-scheiner-guest/pkg-hfsprogs

In addition I plan to deviate from the patches I created in late 2017,
maybe even start from scratch. One of the main things I want to keep out
of d-i/grub-installer this time is the HFS stuff related to FS creation
and such. Unfortunately this is not done by d-i/partman-newworld but was
always done by d-i/yaboot-installer or d-i/grub-installer with my
patches from late 2017. To fix that I plan to create a d-i/partman-hfs
(based on d-i/partman-ext3 but adapted for hfs) which should take care
of the FS related tasks and maybe later replace d-i/partman-newworld.
This should shrink the amount of changes needed for d-i/grub-installer
considerably. I also like to "save space" by focusing on successful
operation for the simplest case possible only - i.e. empty disk or prior
OS installation on disk is thrown away - at first, instead of trying to
support special cases.

The plan then is as follows:

1. Increase size of HFS partitions in d-i/partman-auto to 10 to 20 MB to
prepare for future GRUB installations. More details on [1].

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/partman-auto/merge_requests/2

2. Create d-i/partman-hfs to handle all FS related stuff for HFS

2.5 Create hfsprogs udeb to support d-i/partman-hfs

3. Patch d-i/grub-installer to support a GRUB installation for
powerpc/ppc64 Macs for the simplest case.

This time I also plan to do the development on powerpc and use ppc64 for
verification.

Cheers,
Frank