Re: News about Firefox for PowerPC

Hi,

swamprock wrote:
Meanwhile, there is a fork of Pale Moon 27.x called Arctic Fox that can be used on 32-bit PowerPC-https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/

More info:https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/arctic-fox-web-browser-for-10-6-32-64-bit.2133051/

I need to chime in, being one of the main contributors behind ArcticFox, although it is not directly my idea.

I had it working on Linux/PPC too and compiling with gcc 6.5 on Debian (you can check my fork on github in case, but it gets pulled in regularly). It could even play videos off you-tube although ad a ridiculous frame rate

If someone can help me with getting gcc7 and gcc8 working, welcome!!

Don't hold your breath on JS though: no JIT for PPC and stability is (still) dubious. Some other PPC enthusiasts got it compiling then also on PPC 64, although there were some endianness issues which did not happen in 32bit, there were also some stbaility issues. I did some progress by packporting numerous fixes, but I lack currently the PPC machine to test it on and am working on Intel. Right now on Intel I can use major sites: github, facebook, youtube... even web mail. It keeps me motivated!

Riccardo

PS: Adrian, I hope you get out a new ISO soon, so I try reinstalling the iBook and test again :) I got the machine exactly for working on ArcticFox