Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

Am 26.08.18 um 14:07 schrieb Frank Scheiner:
> On 08/26/2018 01:35 PM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
>> Am 26.08.18 um 12:48 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
>>> One of the most pressing problems on Debian powerpc/ppc64 is
>>> the deprecation of Yaboot. Yaboot is completely unmaintained these
>>> days and should
>>> have been replaced with GRUB long time ago. If you install Debian
>>> powerpc/ppc64 on
>>> an IBM-based system (CHRP-IBM or whatever it's called), the
>>> installer will actually
>>> install GRUB. On Mac systems (NewWorld), it will install Yaboot with
>>> the various
>>> problems that people are experiencing.
>>>
>>> Getting GRUB work on PPC Macs requires an extra utility which is
>>> currently part
>>> of the Yaboot package so this needs some extra work. But we have
>>> worked on this
>>> in the past and we hope to get this finished soon. Then we have one
>>> annoyance
>>> less to worry about.
>>

>> What is this tool that is missing?
>
> A working device-to-ofpath translator.
>
> AFAIR during testing in late 2017 the only tool that worked reliably
> on most NewWorld PowerMac and Xserve machines was `ofpath` which is
> part of the yaboot package as Adrian already mentioned. So not
> maintained (because part of yaboot) and missing when yaboot is dropped.
>
> The other available tool `ofpathname` is meant for IBM machines and
> gives wrong results on Apple machines (and also on IBM machines). The
> tool `grub-ofpathname` from GRUB didn't work as expected during my
> testing.
>
> See e.g. [1] for some background.
>
> [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/11/msg00086.html

Thanks, but why use ofpath when GRUB2 core.elf can figure that out all
by itself without the use of open firmware stuff? Just use the UUID of
the partition where the second main GRUB2 is installed, and use the
first GRUB2 only as the first stage core.elf.

Example: your /boot UUID is 12345678-abcd-ef01-1234-abcdef012345,
grub.cfg on the HFS partition together with core.elf from GRUB2, blessed
(:tbxi) using hattrib:
> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
12345678-abcd-ef01-1234-abcdef012345
> set prefix=($root)/boot/grub
> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

This will load grub.cfg from the real /boot partition and continue from
there, no need to get the ofpath.

At least that was how I did it on a Power Mac G4.

Linux User #330250