Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On 08/26/2018 01:35 PM, Linux User #330250 wrote:
Am 26.08.18 um 12:48 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
One of the most pressing problems on Debian powerpc/ppc64 is
the deprecation of Yaboot. Yaboot is completely unmaintained these days and should
have been replaced with GRUB long time ago. If you install Debian powerpc/ppc64 on
an IBM-based system (CHRP-IBM or whatever it's called), the installer will actually
install GRUB. On Mac systems (NewWorld), it will install Yaboot with the various
problems that people are experiencing.

Getting GRUB work on PPC Macs requires an extra utility which is currently part
of the Yaboot package so this needs some extra work. But we have worked on this
in the past and we hope to get this finished soon. Then we have one annoyance
less to worry about.

What is this tool that is missing?

A working device-to-ofpath translator.

AFAIR during testing in late 2017 the only tool that worked reliably on most NewWorld PowerMac and Xserve machines was `ofpath` which is part of the yaboot package as Adrian already mentioned. So not maintained (because part of yaboot) and missing when yaboot is dropped.

The other available tool `ofpathname` is meant for IBM machines and gives wrong results on Apple machines (and also on IBM machines). The tool `grub-ofpathname` from GRUB didn't work as expected during my testing.

See e.g. [1] for some background.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/11/msg00086.html