Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 2:15 PM Linux User #330250
<linuxuser330250@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 26.08.18 um 14:07 schrieb Frank Scheiner:

> >> What is this tool that is missing?
> >
> > A working device-to-ofpath translator.
> >
> > AFAIR during testing in late 2017 the only tool that worked reliably
> > on most NewWorld PowerMac and Xserve machines was `ofpath` which is
> > part of the yaboot package as Adrian already mentioned. So not
> > maintained (because part of yaboot) and missing when yaboot is dropped.
> >
> > The other available tool `ofpathname` is meant for IBM machines and
> > gives wrong results on Apple machines (and also on IBM machines). The
> > tool `grub-ofpathname` from GRUB didn't work as expected during my
> > testing.
> >
> > See e.g. [1] for some background.
> >
> > [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/11/msg00086.html
> >

> Thanks, but why use ofpath when GRUB2 core.elf can figure that out all
> by itself without the use of open firmware stuff? Just use the UUID of
> the partition where the second main GRUB2 is installed, and use the
> first GRUB2 only as the first stage core.elf.

The actual bug was reported here:

https://bugs.debian.org/882076

The other grub-related powerpc issues can be found from:

https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?tag=powerpc&user=debian-powerpc%40lists.debian.org