Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

Am 26.08.18 um 13:38 schrieb Dennis Clarke:
> There is a branch of computer hobby game playing which is
> more or less similar to the job description of a museum curator. Only of
> far less significance. I still have a DEC AlphaSERVER tucked away in the
> back of a warehouse and if I were to drag that hulk out then I am doing
> "retro-computing" and should fully expect not very much.  Dust.  Some
> noise.  Broken parts and failed old battery bits.  Sure a Sparc 20 with
> quad ross processors is cool in a curious way. I have one of those also.
> It has Red Hat zoot on it.  Pure retro-computing but entirely useless
> and of no future value.  A museum piece at best but really that should
> be reserved for the Z1 and the works of Konrad Zuse.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I am using my Power Macs actively.
Agreed, I also run the operating systems of that time on them, together
with the software of that time, but they are of use, and they keep me
from buying yet another cheap computer that would be able to do the same
task...

Until recently, Linux has been the only operating system that kept those
machines current, because if it can run on a Raspberry Pi, why not on a
Power Mac G4 or a Power Mac G5?

Why would I want to through out working computers and replace them with
new ones, just because the new ones happen to be little endian?

Linux User #330250