Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On 08/26/2018 07:08 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 8/26/18 1:06 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:

Everyone knows that we are more or less doing retro-computing here ...

Thank you for giving it a name.  Retro-computing.  Very cute.

Are you being sarcastic?

Not at all. Not in the least. If I were then there would be a "rant"
attached somewhere.  Some sort of hand waving wherein I realize that
something annoying and prickly has occured. There isn't.  You nailed it
down neatly.  There is a branch of computer hobby game playing which is
more or less similar to the job description of a museum curator. Only of
far less significance. I still have a DEC AlphaSERVER tucked away in the
back of a warehouse and if I were to drag that hulk out then I am doing
"retro-computing" and should fully expect not very much.  Dust.  Some
noise.  Broken parts and failed old battery bits.  Sure a Sparc 20 with
quad ross processors is cool in a curious way. I have one of those also.
It has Red Hat zoot on it.  Pure retro-computing but entirely useless
and of no future value.  A museum piece at best but really that should
be reserved for the Z1 and the works of Konrad Zuse.

dc