Re: Unable to boot debian ports debian-9.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso image in QEMU

On 02/13/2018 11:27 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
The fixed version:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/e2fslibs1.41-dev

is in archive, and currently build just fine. You can consider as if
yaboot had its own convenient copy of e2fslibs.

Does that answer your question ? Or did I miss the point ?

Then why was Mark unable to build Yaboot if the fixed version is
in the archive? If it's just a matter of building in a clean
sid chroot, why wasn't that done in the first place as I suggested?

That's probably because I am still using Jessie as a base environment rather than going through the process of setting up a sid-chroot in order just to build yaboot-1.3.17.

The main omission from e2fslibs compared to e2fslibs1.41-dev is that the latest version doesn't build the static versions of the libraries (the ld line adds -lext2fs and so it's libext2fs.a in https://packages.debian.org/sid/powerpc/e2fslibs1.41-dev/filelist which is the magic that allows yaboot to build when comparing with https://packages.debian.org/sid/e2fslibs).

Now it could be that even adding a static build to e2fslibs still requires a few extra fixups to yaboot similar to http://git.ozlabs.org/?p=yaboot.git;a=commitdiff;h=57e24de52a1318edb9f253f9c3199772567998b1 but that shouldn't be too tricky.

I should add that probably grub is a better long term solution, I'm just looking for a suitable band-aid to get the latest powerpc ports image running under QEMU again.

ATB,

Mark.