Re: Unable to boot debian ports debian-9.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso image in QEMU

On 11/02/18 18:01, Frank Scheiner wrote:

On 02/11/2018 06:43 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
Yeah, maybe it's just the yaboot versions (1.3.16 for Jessie, 1.3.17 for Sid), that makes the difference.

It's annoying that something has regressed here though: is there an official git repo for yaboot to check out the differences between 1.3.16 and 1.3.17?

The fact that it still works on real hardware suggests that something has changed here: is it possible to generate a test ISO using 1.3.16 yaboot to see if that starts working under QEMU again? That would narrow things down immensely.

With QEMU would it be possible to follow the approach of John Ogness ([1])? He used yaboot v1.3.16 from a USB stick and then loaded the config file from the Debian Sid netinst disc.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/10/msg00099.html

That's an interesting hack. I've actually just managed to find the offical git repo at http://git.ozlabs.org/?p=yaboot.git.

Is it possible to change the ports build to produce a -O0 -g yaboot binary or point me towards how to alter the existing ISO with something I've built myself via a cross compiler?

With that I'm happy to step through the yaboot binary against the source via QEMU's gdbstub to figure out what is going wrong.

(BTW this is assuming that there are no local debian patches applied?)

ATB,

Mark.