Re: Unable to boot debian ports debian-9.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso image in QEMU

On 02/10/2018 03:29 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 02/10/2018 10:22 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
My existing Jessie test image (debian-8.5.0-powerpc-netinst.iso) works fine, so it looks like there is a regression somewhere in the boot loader configuration.
Does anyone know what has changed between these two images that could cause this to break?

Possibly relevant discussion:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/10/msg00089.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/10/msg00118.html

Yeah, maybe it's just the yaboot versions (1.3.16 for Jessie, 1.3.17 for Sid), that makes the difference.

We should really finally switch over to GRUB.

@Frank: Did you make any progress with GRUB on powerpc/ppc64?
         Anything you need help with?

The main issue was that I used `ofpath` which is - as I only later found out - part of the yaboot package in my patches to d-i/grub-installer from November 2017 ([1]) because it was - and still is AFAIK - the only "device-node-to-ofpath-translator" that works correctly for Power Macs (*and* also for IBM POWER machines - as we've seen in the past ([2]), `ofpathname` does not work correctly from my point of view).

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/11/msg00068.html

[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/11/msg00086.html

I did not follow if there was any progress made for the `grub-ofpathname` ([3]) tool. Last time I checked it didn't work correctly for Power Macs and I had the impression that this tool is tailored to sparc(64) OBP actually and not all ieee1275 implementations per se.

[3]: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/util/ieee1275/grub-ofpathname.c?id=2dc163bf692c18275de7b0d6716138c676e3bf92

My personal preference would be to keep `ofpath` and either create a separate (u)deb for it (as it works for both Power Macs and IBM POWER machines and also for other PowerPC related machines (not checked because of missing hardware)) or move it to e.g. "pmac-utils". I think a tool that can be used by multiple boot loaders (yaboot, GRUB, and possibly others) to determine a device path should not necessarily be shipped with a single boot loader, but either be shipped in a separate package or a package related to its target platform.

Is this realistic?

For my patches I can of course also use another "device-node-to-ofpath-translator" as long as it works. Apart from that I assume only a rebase and some testing is needed to make it ready for review.

Cheers,
Frank