Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep yaboot happy.

On 10/09/2017 05:44 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 10/09/2017 11:49 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 10/09/2017 11:27 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Yep, that's about right. I will implement that later today. Thanks for pointing
me at that.

I have patched partman-prep now [1]. Interestingly, it used to have ppc64
support and it was removed [2].

Good news: With partman-prep enabled on ppc64 and after adding the hack to wipe
and find the PREP partition on powerpc and ppc64 in grub-installer [1], the
installation of GRUB on ppc64 works now out of the box on my POWER7 system \o/.

One can simply install GRUB on these systems now by choosing "Back" in the
yaboot-installer menu and then choosing to install GRUB.

I today did a "normal" and an expert install with successful GRUB installation with the [installer ISO] from 2017-10-10 and can confirm that both also work on POWER5 systems, specifically on a 9131-52A.

If anyone on the list has a POWER3, POWER4 or POWER6 system available, it would be interesting to see, if this works for these out of the box, too.

[installer ISO]: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/debian-9.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso

If you are unable to boot your POWER5 system with this disc with similar messages than the following ones:

```
Config file read, 1342 bytes
Welcome to Debian GNU/Linux sid!

This is a Debian installation CDROM,
built on 20171012-17:54.

Enter one of the following options to begin:

install     64-bit processor (G5 or POWER3/4/5/6/7)
install32   32-bit processor (G4 or earlier)

Press TAB for a full list of options.

If the system fails to boot with a white screen
which doesn't go away, add 'video=ofonly'.

Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.17
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot: expert
Please wait, loading kernel...
   Elf64 kernel loaded...
ERROR: claim of 0x100000 at 0x1f40000 failed
Claim failed for initrd memory at 01f40000 rc=ffffffff
ENTER called ok
0 >
```

...then try the following OF commands to wipe your NVRAM (you'll loose your configuration there, though) and retry:

```
dev nvram
wipe-nvram
```

...as per [1] and [2]. This made booting from the disc to work for me then.

[1]: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/W51a7ffcf4dfd_4b40_9d82_446ebc23c550/page/Troubleshoot%20a%20claim%20failed%20for%20initrd%20error%20message

[2]: https://oss.gonicus.de/openpower/index.php/Claim_failed_for_initrd_memory

Cheers,
Frank