Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep yaboot happy.

On 10/06/2017 11:52 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
Great!  I’ll test it this weekend.

Thank you.

Can you also somehow make it automatically mount the HFS partition at /boot/grub ?
So I don’t have to breakout to a shell and do it manually?

Yes, of course. But that will be the next step after we have verified that the
GRUB installation works as desired. I'm waiting with this change because it will
make the Yaboot installation more difficult as that will mean that Yaboot
users have to adjust the partitioning manually.

(That can wait, of course, til we get grub install to work at all…)

Exactly.

As you hinted, it can’t mount /boot/grub until after it has been formatted as
HFS (currently by yaboot install)  Is there a chicken/egg problem here?  You
can’t install grub without installing yaboot first, so it’s not possible to
install without yaboot…  So we can’t actually get rid of yaboot at all?

I'm not sure what makes you think that the mechanism to format HFS filesystems
is inherently part of Yaboot but that's definitely not the case. Yaboot's installer
script itself doesn't create the HFS filesystem, it relies on hfsutils for that
which can be used independently of Yaboot, of course.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz