Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep yaboot happy.

On Oct 6, 2017, at 2:17 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 10/06/2017 11:06 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> On 10/06/2017 10:56 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>> I tried the latest:  "Debian GNU/Linux 9.0 "Sid" - Unofficial ppc64 NETINST 20171005-07:56”
>>>
>>> I did an “expert” mode install.  At partitioning time, I created an 8MB bootable partition and a 250MB ext2 partition for /boot.
>>>
>>> There was no “grub” entry in the main menu of the installer [*], so I went ahead and installed yaboot.
>> Oh, this must have broken recently. I will give it a try later today and see why that's the case. The
>> grub-installer package is definitely now officially built for ppc64 and sparc64 [1], so I'm not sure
>> why it's not showing up for you.
> Ah, the problem is most likely the debian/isinstallable script in grub-installer [1]. It's
> already checking for the existence of the /boot/grub HFS partition when the grub-installer
> package is pulled in by anna (debian-installer's version of APT).
>
> However, at the time when grub-installer is pulled in by debian-installer, there are no
> partitions yet at all so naturally the GRUB installation item will never show up on
> these machines.
>
> Also, the check from [1] is already present in the actual grub-installer script [2], so
> it doesn't really make sense that it's part of debian/isinstallable. I will therefore
> remove it from [1].
>
> Thanks for testing and spotting this problem!
>
> Adrian
>
>> [1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/grub-installer.git/tree/debian/isinstallable#n22
>> [2] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/grub-installer.git/tree/grub-installer#n241

Great!  I’ll test it this weekend.

Can you also somehow make it automatically mount the HFS partition at /boot/grub ?  So I don’t have to breakout to a shell and do it manually?  (That can wait, of course, til we get grub install to work at all…)

As you hinted, it can’t mount /boot/grub until after it has been formatted as HFS (currently by yaboot install)  Is there a chicken/egg problem here?  You can’t install grub without installing yaboot first, so it’s not possible to install without yaboot…  So we can’t actually get rid of yaboot at all?

Rick